[AZ-Observing] IDA Membership

  • From: "William R Wood" <w.wood@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 06:15:23 -0700

To all,

I just got a letter from the IDA reminding me that they need more money and
more members in order to continue their efforts to promote better outdoor
lighting practices.  They asked all members to attempt to recruit at least 2
new members.  Dave Crawford, IDA's exec director, said "Just Ask"!

So, I'm asking any folks who are not already IDA members to consider signing
up.  An annual membership is only $30.  You can register and pay with a
credit card online at:

http://www.darksky.org/membership/membership.html

It is rather depressing that the IDA only has about 10,000 members.  That
meager number helps explain why relatively little progress has been made to
control light pollution.  I believe that most astronomy clubs support the
IDA from membership dues but that is not nearly enough.  Hopefully more
amateur astronomers will join up or make a donation on their own.

Regards,

Bill Wood
Fountain Hills, AZ