[AZ-Observing] IC2574 (Coddington's Nebula)

  • From: "Bernard Miller" <bgmiller011@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 17:23:54 -0700

Hi,

The link below is to IC2574. When it was first discovered in 1898, they
thought it was a nebula, which is how it got its name, but this is actually
a dwarf irregular galaxy in Ursa Major. It is a faint little fuzzy so I got
about 18 hours of data. If you look at the full size uncropped version (link
below the image), I am pretty sure you can see the IFN. At first I thought I
had gradients, but there is definitely a cloud of some sort surrounding the
galaxy (especially in the lower right of the full size image) and there is
no nebula in the neighborhood.  I posted the cropped version, but I may post
both versions as each one has its advantages.

http://www.azstarman.net/IC2574.htm

Bernard