[AZ-Observing] Re: IC 342

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 20:06:24 -0700

Bill, I observed this object from our site called Eagle Eye, which is about 60
miles west of Phoenix.  In my 8-inch telescope is was very difficult to find,
primarily because of its faintness.  I made a drawing at 80X and using averted
vision and a hood, the small central core was easily seen just south of a faint
star.  Two very small fainter spiral arms were seen during moments of good
seeing.  One arm, on the east, trailed to the north and the other on the
southwest side.  Several stars are involved and may be part of brighter star
clouds in the two arms.  Yes, this is a fun challenge - no doubt in my mind.

I can just picture your description of moving scope and accessories out of the
wind!

Thanks for the observation and story,
aj