[AZ-Observing] Re: IC 342

  • From: "Tom Polakis" <polakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Reply-To:az-observing"@freelists.org
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 12:29:49 -0700

Bill Ferris wrote:

..in Camelopardalis. I was in the area to re-observe the planetary nebula,
NGC 1501. IC 342 is plotted on the same Uranometria chart, so I decided to
give it a go. (During star hop, I encountered a distinctive line of stars
in my finder scope. Was that Kemble's Cascade?)..

Bill,

Yep, it's a distinctive chain of stars that looks great in a finderscope,
or something providing a field of 3 degrees or so.  The tight open cluster
NGC 1502 lies at the southeast (I think) end of the chain.

Tom