[AZ-Observing] I admit it, the clouds are my fault

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 17:46:26 -0700

Ok, I have a "new" telescope and it is now all ready to go.

I bought a Nexstar 8 GPS in the fork mount with the money I got from selling
the 9.25 inch SCT on the Advanced German Equatorial mount.  I am very happy
with my purchase and last night I spent two hours getting it drift aligned
to the North Celestial Pole. A boring, but necessary, accomplishment.  So,
now it is all set, balanced, aligned, collimated and ready to go.  I even
cleaned my eyepieces and got one new one at Starizona.

Of course, that means that it will stop this drought soon because it will
start raining flaming frogs onto my observatory in Moon Valley.

I did get in a little imaging with the ToUCam earlier in the week and I will
show a couple of minutes of what I have gotten so far at the SAC meeting
tomorrow.  This is assuming that any of us can get to the meeting place
while driving through the typhoon that will hit Phoenix in the next few
hours.

Regardless of all this, it is nice having a telescope that has the exact
same hand paddle and command structure in both the "portable" Nexstar 11 and
the 8 incher in the backyard roll off roof observatory.  That way, I don't
have to remember two different sets of control commands to two different
telescopes.  KISS.

Hope to see you tomorrow night;

Steve Coe