[AZ-Observing] Re: How the "Earthrise" images were captured: resend

  • From: Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 11:21:34 -0700

Just did a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation. With their orbital
period of 2 hours, they were moving about 3 degrees/minute. So the 1.85
degree disc of Full Earth would take about  0.62 minutes (37 seconds) to
rise. In that respect, the simulation in that link
(http://www.youtube.com/embed/dE-vOscpiNc) was right on. Allowing for
the time to find and load the color film, seems like they'd catch the
Earth about 2.5 Earth-diameters above the horizon just like in that
classic photo. Still have to wonder, why the rush? They had 10 orbits
planned, and I assume that photo was taken on the first orbit.  -Dan Heim