[AZ-Observing] Hermes = binary

  • From: "Workman, Brian (AZ76)" <brian.workman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:45:40 -0700

Just thought I'd pass this on. It's an interesting development in the story
about the rediscovery of Hermes by "our" Brian Skiff.

- Rediscovered NEO Asteroid Hermes Is A Binary
http://www.spacedaily.com/news/asteroid-03o.html

Flagstaff - Oct 23, 2003 - The re-discovery of Hermes started early on
October 15th by Brian Skiff of the Lowell Observatory Near-Earth-Object
Search (LONEOS). Not seen since 1937, asteroid 1937 UB (Hermes) continues to
astonish and excite astronomers worldwide. Further observations revealed
late yesterday that Hermes is actually two objects--called a
binary--circling around one another while about to pass by Earth again.