[AZ-Observing] Help with old Telescope?

  • From: "Frank Honer" <fhoner@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 17:25:45 -0700

I recently bought an old Edmund Scientific 6 inch newtonian in really =
good shape. It's kind of a nostalgia thing as this was the telescope I =
always wanted as a kid in the 60's. But, as I recall the ~$150.00 price =
way out of my range. The telescope appears to be mid 60's vintage, but =
the mirror does not appear to be original. While I was cleaning the =
mirror, I saw the back had 6-27-48 etched on it.

I've refurbished the scope but can not fathom what the cam lever is for =
(see the attached pictures). The lever, which is in the up position it =
the photos, rotates the proturding shaft which is offset from the center =
of the bearing. Consequently, the protruding shaft pushes against either =
stationary vertical post. This moves the entire clock drive assembly ( =
including the worm gear and turning gear approximately +/- 10 degrees) =
on the RA axis. But it seems to have no effect on backlash or any other =
function I can think of.

Does anyone have an idea what this is for? Or does anyone know of a Web =
site to which I could pose the question?

Thanks,

Frank

-- Type: image/jpeg
-- File: photo2.jpg