[AZ-Observing] Re: Heading out to Antennas site tomorrow

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: amastro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, taaaforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 11:01:12 GMT

Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244 Gene, Steve, and All, I had a decent night of observing
tonight, just getting in now (about 3am). It started out very comfortable and
dry, but there must have been a good amount of humidity still in the air
because around 2am the temperature got down to about 33 deg F and all the
dampness solidified on everything and it was impossible to keep the eyepieces
and Telrad from dewing up. So I declared a victory after struggling with that
problem for an hour. It was a good night, all things considered. The seeing and
transparency were both very good. I started too late to get a good view of
Jupiter though I suspect I saw the Spot formerly known as Red near the central
meridian. I then traveled down to Fornax and explored around in its galaxy
cluster. NGC 1404's recent SN has faded pretty considerably and is now
difficult to detect. I found many faint members in the Fornax group that I
hadn't been able to detect before because the seeing even at that low of a
declination was remarkably good. As usual, I checked out the M31 group and M33,
both showing a lot of detail that I usually don't see. I then wandered around
in Leo for awhile and had good views of the Leo I dwarf galaxy, the nice pair
NGC 3226-7 near gamma Leonis, and the NGC 3190 galaxy group in the neck of Leo.
Nearby Mars showed good surface detail with the white north pole surrounded by
a dark ring, the south polar region was dark and the area in between looked of
all things like a seahorse (probably the edge of Syrtis Major). I was able to
split the difficult double stars Izar in Bootes and Porrima in Virgo with room
to spare. I ended the night with a pleasant view of Saturn, M81/82, M51 (its SN
no longer detectable in my scope), and M101 with its recent SN still shining
nicely between its two guardian stars, though it is fading slowly.  No water
dripping tonight, it was frozen solid on everything in sight.
Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)