[AZ-Observing] Re: Happy Jack site

  • From: "William R Wood" <wrwood2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 08:46:24 -0700

Brian,

>      Consider that the Airy disc of a 6-inch aperture is 0".85.
> So the usual thing with that aperture would be to see "no seeing" at the
> Happy Jack site; presumably Pickering 10 on average for that aperture.
> If you get some of that "first quartile" seeing, then you wouldn't
> see any image motion with a diffraction-limited 10-inch telescope.

This sounds terrific!  Observing in a 6-8 mph breeze (as per Brian's prior
note) will be painful especially if it is cold (as a desert dweller I regard
cold as any temp below 80F :)) but maybe we can come up with a wind buffer.
Don't know off hand how one could make a portable windbreak that could stand
up to 6-8 mph winds, which is pretty stiff, but I will be thinking.

Thanks again Brian, this is really great news.

Regards

Bill Wood