[AZ-Observing] Re: Happy Jack site

  • From: BillFerris@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:17:43 EST

Brian Skiff wrote
>>  Is there any hope that us amateurs will be permitted to use the Happy Jack
>>  site after the 4-meter project is in operation.  Parking lot, maybe?
>
>    I don't know what the situation will be, but bear in mind that
>finishing the telescope is four years downstream, so you might want to
>do some observing before then.
By coincidence, I had a brief conversation with Lowell Observatory director
Bob Millis last Wednesday and asked him about the current and future
accessibility of the Happy Jack site. He described it as currently accessible
with
four-wheel drive and said he thought future access to the site would be similar
that on Anderson Mesa.
For those unfamiliar with the Lowell Anderson Mesa site, three of the four
domed telescopes are near the edge of the mesa. There's an open asphalt road
all
the way to the fenced compound where the telescopes are located. The locals
who observe from Anderson Mesa often setup in gravel parking area (large enough
for maybe 10 vehicles) in a clearing just outside the compound.

I drove out to visit the Happy Jack site, this morning. Like many forest
roads in the Lake Mary/Mormon Lake area, the road leading toward the summit is
still closed due to winter conditions. If I hear of the road opening, I'll pass
it on to the list.

Regards,

Bill in Flagstaff