[AZ-Observing] Re: Happy Jack site

  • From: Brian Skiff <Brian.Skiff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 12:09:47 -0700 (MST)

>>  Is there any hope that us amateurs will be permitted to use the Happy Jack
>>  site after the 4-meter project is in operation.  Parking lot, maybe?

     I don't know what the situation will be, but bear in mind that
finishing the telescope is four years downstream, so you might want to
do some observing before then.
     Note also that there is nothing the least bit special about this
site in terms of seeing, and it is only one of about half a dozen
similar cinder cones within about 2 miles radius.  Surely each of them
has similar characteristics in terms of seeing.  The view in fact may be
better from one of them because the DCT dome is going to be something
like 85 or 90 feet tall, which will block quite a lot of the sky if
you're not actually inside the dome itself.

\Brian