[AZ-Observing] Re: Guiding Problems

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 09:55:47 -0700

Jeff Hopkins wrote:

>Stan,
>
>What was the advice?

Increase the exposure time. I had previously realized that with too
short an exposure time one would be chasing turbulence instead of
actually tracking, but I got derailed with this thought when trying to
correct the problems I was having. It took talking to someone with
experience to make me realize I should go in the opposite direction.
Part of the reason I got derailed is that I felt I needed to have a very
short exposure time to correct for what I thought was very poor sidereal
rate tracking. Probably I simply did not wait long enough after I slewed
to an object for the drive to settle in to the sidereal tracking rate
before I started guiding. Last night the sidereal tracking was great
after I waited some time. The very short exposure intervals I felt I
needed to correct for what I thought was poor sidereal tracking may have
been what was causing the guiding to freeze up at times. It is possible
Envisage cannot handle a large number of signal inputs over a short
period of time to guide. Just a guess.
Stan