[AZ-Observing] Re: Greetings from 4 degrees S latitude

  • From: "Lucia Wheele" <nyclady@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 10:51:45 -0700

please remove me from your email list

nyclady@xxxxxxx

Lucia Wheele
luciawheele@xxxxxxxxx
602-686-0463
-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Lind
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:02 AM
To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AZ-Observing] Re: Greetings from 4 degrees S latitude

Eric et al:

The cannon was much too big for the plane.  This trip was planned as a photo
safari with my wife's sister and her husband, but that hasn't stopped me
from trying to observe!  Last night was sort of clear and I was able to pick
out a few "new" stars from our porch at the lodge.  I used my smart phone
program to identify Rigel Kent, which is pretty bright.  Scorpius was way up
in the south, not at the zenith, but high enough that I had to strain my
neck. Great position if you were imaging Rho Oph. I don't think the
Magellanic clouds are up now, and I couldn't see Crux, which was setting in
the West.

By the way, the weather here is beautiful.  It's the winter dry season. No
mosquitos. Shorts weather. Today we were very lucky to see a large group of
Cape Buffalo chasing a female lion. Quite a show, and only a couple hundred
feet from us. The lion had had enough and hid between the tour Vans only a
few feet from us.

Here's hoping for clear monsoon skies. We'll be back in a week.
Paul