[AZ-Observing] Re: Great observing

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haclist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 22:52:56 GMT

Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244 Thanks, Dick, I was mostly interested in the two most
challenging (on your list of Test Pairs, epoch 2008) objects that I have been
able to see: Bu1270 (both components were orangish-white and about equal in
magn) and delta Equ (both off-white and about equal in magn). I saw the two
pairs as notched in my 13-in f/5.5 at about 400x (using a 9mm with a 2x
Barlow). The seeing on June 22/23 was very good, though the transparency was
only pretty good, but I can't complain: last night we were totally clouded out.

Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)
From: "Gene A. Lucas" <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 17:55:08 -0700

Wayne, Are you perhaps thinking of Richard's list of colorful doubles,
available on the HAC web pages ?
http://www.hacastronomy.com/pdf/astro/Double_Stars_Most_Colorful_Northern_Sk
y.pdf

Gene Lucas
Foluntain Hills

On 6/23/2012 17:07, Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy) wrote:
> 15480 Empire Rd.
> Benson, AZ 85602
> hm ph: 520-586-2244 In spite of the spate of smoke from surrounding
> fires, windy conditions (which kick up the dust in addition to
> jostling the telescope around) and even excessive airglow, the
> observing in my area hasn't been too bad lately. The skies have been
> fairly bright, but the seeing has been very steady and I've had to
> adjust my deep sky observing list from galaxies to double stars, open
> and globular clusters, and planetary nebulae. It's been painful and I
> have caught myself sneaking peaks at the Coma-Virgo Cluster of
> Galaxies and the area around M81/82 and M51, but for the most part I
> have been trying to look at objects within our Milky Way galaxy. Of
> course it's been enjoyable seeing a wide variety of objects. I do not
> have any digital setting circle system so anything I find I have to
> star hop to it. Sometimes it can be a long and arduous process,
> especially at 4am when I'm looking for one final object and dawn is
> rapidly approaching and none of the patterns on
th
>   e sky are matching those on the chart. The stellar planetaries are
> especially difficult unless you possess a chart of the particular
> object or you have the proper filters to blink them. I have had good
> luck with the NGC/IC planetaries, but cringe at the thought of trying
> for the P-K planetaries because I know there is a reason why the early
> observers missed them. I admire Kent Wallace and his tenacity with
> finding the impressive amount that he has. I admit that I am not a
> great planner when it comes to observing. I was brought up in Buffalo,
> NY, which is known for cloudy, humid observing conditions when it is
> not snowing. We frequently had to observe through holes in the clouds
> and you never knew which part of the sky was going to be available for
> observing. It was very hit-or-miss. Observing in Arizona or California
> is totally different, but old habits die hard. I am of the David Levy
> school of observing, like it or not. He (and I) just point the
> telescope at the sky and
sa