[AZ-Observing] Grand Canyon Moonlit Hike Pictures - #3 in a Series

  • From: Tom Polakis <polakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 21:35:24 -0700

Bernie Sanden and I did a Grand Canyon hike this past Friday, June 21/22.
We began at sunset on South Kaibab Trail, hiked to the River, and returned
via Bright Angel Trail.  I reached the rim at exactly sunrise.  I have
posted some pictures at:

http://www.psiaz.com/polakis/gc0602/gc0602.html

Other pictures from similar hikes in July 2000 and October 2000 are at:

http://www.psiaz.com/polakis/gc0700/gc0700.html
http://www.psiaz.com/polakis/gc1000/gc1000.html

------

I was able to capture a couple constellations in scenic orientations that I
had missed on previous hikes, including Leo and Cassiopeia.  The last image
presents the two prominent circumpolar constellations in their most
favoriable orientation.

The blue and green streaks are "glow sticks" that illuminate the trail more
comfortably than flashlights, and as you can see, are virtually
indestructable.

Tom

---

Tom Polakis