[AZ-Observing] Re: Good Sentinel this weekend

  • From: "Matt Luttinen" <mluttinen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:56:12 -0700

Tom,

Yes indeed, the DSS image has no discernable lane. Perhaps one has
developed since that image was taken . . .

Then again, maybe not.

It is interesting that human perception sees "detail" when there is
none. This would seem to particularly true of visual astronomy. Looking
at barely visible objects and teasing out structure might be contrary to
the programming of the brain, which often has trouble taking "no" for an
answer. I know my brain has that problem . . .

I wonder if a short exposure might show a "less-bright" segment of the
arm in question, and so we might see the darkening as a contrast effect.
In the DSS image, the core and arms are *way* over-exposed. We need a
Hubble image . . .

In a casual web search, I have found a more than a few observers who
drew a lane into that arm. Very interesting . . .

Also, there seems to be a paucity good imagery of 4762 and 4754. Hmm . .
.

Thanks for the info. 4762 has not seen the last of me.

Matt