[AZ-Observing] Re: Good Seeing for Mars Opposition?

  • From: "Spencer, Darrell" <DSpencer@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 21:55:59 +0000

I used to think that, too, Eric.  Just an orange blob.   For YEARS!
But, Mars is a fickle god.  Detail is hard won - especially at high mag with
the floaters I have.  Patience (lots of it) is often rewarded and a momentary
glimpse of a polar cap or Syrtis Major, to me, is worth spending a couple of
hours setting up and waiting at the eyepiece.

Now, after I've gotten older and more patient, I can even coax detail from the
Red Planet with 90mm of aperture.  Satisfying detail.

And thanks to Tom for the head's up on the seeing tonight.  I'll give it a go
(but with more than 90mm)

Darrell