[AZ-Observing] Re: Good News and Bad News at AAMM site

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 10:28:42 -0400

---- stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Oh well, I still hold out hope for Friday and Saturday, please don't
> send me information from the "weather guessers" they don't know any
> better than anyone else.

I'm guessing that you didn't really mean that, Steve.  A forecast model can
certainly predict weather better than somebody who is sitting out under it.
For a recent data point, yesterday's wind and blowing dust event was predicted
perfectly in the extended forecast last Saturday, right down to nailing the
high temperature within a couple degrees.

The unsolicited forecast from the NWS for western Arizona this weekend is very
light southwest breezes, and very comfortable nighttime temperatures for
observing.  Since nobody but us cares about cirrus clouds, they go with "partly
cloudy" nights. Take a look at the Clear Sky Chart on Friday, and the Canadian
Meteorological Center's model (which does care about cirrus clouds) will give
us an idea if it's going to be transparent.

Tom