[AZ-Observing] Re: Going scoping and avoiding the cold

  • From: Michael Collins <cal_donley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 11:17:57 -0700

On 05/10/15 10:49, Stan Gorodenski wrote:

You haven't said what make it is?

To my knowledge, the only production 9-1/4" SCTs are Celestrons. Meade
chose 8", 10" and 12" apertures while Celestron went with 8", 9-1/4" and
11" options in the middle of their line-up. The C 9/14 is a bit
different optically from other SCTs in that size range (8 - 12") in that
it uses a primary of slightly longer focal length combined with a lower
magnification secondary. This results in an OTA which has a distinctly
higher aspect ratio. As Dwight noted, these telescopes have a reputation
for yielding better images than other SCTs. Having both a C11 and a C9
1/4, I can't say that I see a huge difference between the two, but I've
been pretty happy with both telescopes. For their apertures, the images
don't compare with my 102 mm triplet refractor, but there's a lot to be
said for cross sectional area -- superior image or not, I'll never see a
14th magnitude asteroid in the refractor[1].

-- Mike --

1. Though I wouldn't be surprised in Sue French would.
--
cal_donley@xxxxxxx