[AZ-Observing] Re: Glimpse of Lulin; comet orbit model ?; Saturn animation, etc.

  • From: Gene A Lucas <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 00:39:07 -0700

Hi Tom,

Regarding seeing the two tails on Comet Lulin, it occurs to me that this
is a result of our perspective in regard to the plane of the orbit.

I have been looking for an old article I know I have buried someplace,
that describes how to plot comet orbits on sheets of stiff paper, cut
the pieces out, and assemble them to give a 3-D model of the orbit with
respect to the Earth's orbit.  Basically consists of plotting the comet
orbit (parabola or whatever) in its own plane... Possibly could do that
with your favorite, Voyager software, make a printer file, and scale it
to a nearly circular one for the Earth's orbit... ?  Just need to mark
the points on the Earth's orbit diagram where the plane of the comet
orbit intersects, to cut a slit to place the other sheet... with the
proper inclination.

Of course, there are ways of plotting and visualizing the orbits on a
computer screen, even being able to "rotate" and zoom the images, but I
think nothing beats having the 3-D model right in your hands...

Maybe 3-D Stereolithography or Xero-printing (from the shops at
Honeywell)?  haha

--------
Here's a remark I didn't finish posting to A-observing, some short time
back...

I recall observing Comet IRAS-Araki-Alcock with my 8 inch Meade 2080
with a SAC group out at Fessler's Ranch north of Phoenix...  Like
Darrell mentioned, very rare to see anything with recognizable motion
visually in the scope -- other than the occasional meteor or an airplane
(!)

--------
Nice animation of Saturn's rings you just posted ! I will be very
interested in seeing this project progress, only wish I had gotten
something similar started..
Keep posting that stuff!

Oh, BTW I have re-posted your neat image links to astro-imager friends
John Sanford, Earl Wilson, and Ernie Williams in California, and Jim
Vail in Maryland...
You probably know of John from the Orange County Astronomers, former
photography instructor at Chapman College, formerly published the RTMC
Proceedings and organized the OCA Astro-Imaging Seminars, now retired...
John has been working hard on imaging Saturn and the comet under dark
skies at his Starhome Observatory near Springerville, CA.
My WAA, SAS, RTMC and IOTA buddy Earl is still working at Owens Dry Lake
(lives in Lone Pine, CA, about as dark as can be), Pres. of the China
Lake Astronomy Club, but doesn't get a chance to do as much imaging as
he'd like...
Ernie Williams you will recognize as the A/V Wizard in the Main Hall at
RTMC - Camp Oakes... He lives and works in the central LA basin and also
doesn't get to do very much imaging...
Jim Vail is our old SAC friend of years ago, nuclear engineer now
working for the NRC in Washington, DC area. Lives in the Maryland
suburbs NW near the Beltway (Gaithersburg area).  Has to go all the way
to West Virginia for some dark skies....
All of these guys are at least semi-active in IOTA with analog astro
video...

Cheers,
Gene Lucas
(17250)