[AZ-Observing] Re: Giant Sunspot

  • From: "Steven Dodder" <sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:25:46 +0000

Hi all,
   I took a peak at these yesterday with the 6" solar and was struck by the
details visible.  Keep an eye on the light bridges in the umbra and the
changes in the penumbral structures.  I watched for around half an hour to
see the changes slowly seething in the umbra.  Very nice!

  And just to get everyone on the same page, the huge one is AR 0652, the
one below it is AR 0653.  As you head west they are AR 0649 and AR 0644.
You can find the Mt. Wilson AR numbers here:

http://www.solar.ifa.hawaii.edu/ARMaps/armaps.html

Click on "Today's Data" for, well, todays data and search the archives for
older numbers.

Steve and Rosie Dodder
sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx
Visit my web site at http://www.stargazing.net/Astroman

&gt;One in particular is just on the face of the sun and it is HUGE.  There
is a large dark umbra and a much bigger penumbra on all sides.  As usual,
there are two obvious north and south poles, but they are attached together
with several dark markings that run through the umbra.  Fascinating!  All
this is at 175X in my 7 inch Maksutov with a Baader filter.  If you have a
solar filter now would be a fun time to break it out.  There are several
other spot groups to see, but the view is dominated by the large group.
&gt;
&gt;Take Care;
&gt;Steve Coe
&gt;
&gt;Author &quot;Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist&quot;
&gt;Saguaro Astronomy Club website
&gt;www.saguaroastro.org
&gt;--
&gt;See message header for info on list archives or unsubscribing, and
please
&gt;send personal replies to the author, not the list.
&gt;