[AZ-Observing] Re: Geminids

  • From: "L Knauth" <Knauth@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 20:26:21 -0700

An advantage to your "nap until moonset" approach is possibly that the sky
tends to get a lot better several hours after sunset.  At Hovatter Norte, we
often note even on the clearest nights that everything below about 30 degrees
is decidedly less black than above after twilight and that this gradually
descends down to the horizon as the evening progresses.  By midnight, it can be
really black all the way down if we aren't looking toward any kind of city.  My
own prejudice is that this is the skyglow generated by UV blasting the upper
atmosphere all day.  Toward midnight, ions lifted to higher energy states have
pretty much cascaded down to lower states and quit giving off light.  Anyone
know if this is a reasonable explanation?  I haven't looked into the official
version of whether you can see skyglow. The observation is certainly not
something we are imagining.
BTW: If the predicted clearing trend continues, I am doing a one-nighter at
Hovatter Norte Wednesday night.

Paul Knauth