[AZ-Observing] GCSP_2013_South_Rim_Day_Two

  • From: Skylook123@xxxxxxx
  • To: taaaforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 14:57:41 -0400 (EDT)

Grand Canyon Star Party - DAY TWO - A Good Ending To An Odd Day

Location: Grand Canyon Visitor Center, South Rim of Grand Canyon, AZ, about
 340 miles north of home in Tucson, about 7000 ft elevation

Weather: Low 90s at Noon, Low 80s at sunset, under 50 when we quit at 11
PM. Occassional clouds, gusty winds, still a nice night.

Seeing and Transparency: Pretty crisp and steady, considering the  gusts.

Equipment:
18” f/5 2286mm Teeter Telescope newtonian truss dob, Sky  Commander DSCs
10" Meade SCT on Atlas EQ-G mount
Mallincam Junior video  imaging system on 10", 13.3" LCD monitor.

The day started out hot again.  It was the day of the welcome pizza  party
in the campground, which has had a menu expansion thanks to our wonderful
information coordinator Ginger Applegarth and her husband Dr. Alan Delman.
They made up some great salad to go with the pizzas.  This time my wife
Susan guessed right on the number to order, although I messed up her count by
insisting on changing one of the vegetarians to sausage.  Should have gone
the other way.  And, amazingly, the pissas were ready a half hour  early!
We had a leisurely lunch with about 40 folks, then went back to  rest up and
write yesterday's report.

After dinner we hit the site around 5:30.  The temperature drop was
starting to be noticeable, and occasional wind gusts were worrisome since I
would
be in the theater with the night talk while Stephen would be trying to
manage the big dob.  A little after 6 PM I met with our speaker, Dr. Tyler
Nordgren, Astronomy Professor at Redlands University with his PhD from Cornell
University.  Tyler is also on the board of directors of the International
Darksky Association, which focuses his attention to our affects on the night
 sky.  A superbly engaging person to interact with, his special area of
attention is intraction of the night skies with the National Parks and
protecting and recovering the night sky environment.  He is also a gifted
photographer of the night sky, as well as an artist who provided the publicity
posters for the Annular Solar Eclipse events at four of the western national
parks last year.

Although dubious about the wind, I got Stephen collimated and ready to go,
and started up the Atlas with the right coordinates and time entries.  The
plan was for Karina to do the skymap handouts at the theater as usual, then
head  down and do a stellar alignment, go to Saturn, and start the video
show.  A  very pleasant surprise was to find that, due to equipment troubles,
Bill  McDonald had to leave after one night but long time GCSP participant
Wayne  Thomas showed up with three cameras to help out.  However, he was
missing  the right adapters for mounting the cameras.  My long time observing
partner, John Anderson, had an adapter that would work with one of Wayne's
cameras although it took some duck tape patchwork to complete the
installation.

Dr. Nordgren's talk is entitled Stars Above, Earth Below; Astronomy In The
National Parks.  He has travelled and written extensively on the topic, and
 it shows in his presentation.  Not a single bullet point; just awesome
night sky pictures that unite our need for the night sky with how it is being
affected around the world by humanity.  His photography of the Milky Way as
 seen at various parks, and the effects of light intrusion, tell an
incredible  story.  We had to adjust the displays on about a dozen of the
pictures
so  that they would work best with the theater system, and it came out
flawless.  I highly recommend buying his book Stars Above, Earth Below:
Astronomy in the National Parks, proceeds of which are going to support of the
Grand Canyon Association light footprint reduction effort here at the Grand
Cayon, which I briefly mentioned in yesterday's observing report.  We
actually started half an hour or so early, so Tyler could do an astronomy  Q&A
befor starting the talk.  He also volunteered to do the 10 PM  Constellation
Tour.  I was not surprised at all around 10:30 PM to hear a  huge ovation at
the completion of his tour.

Now to our adventures.  The wind picked up strongly after we went into  the
theater.  Stephen immediately shut down the big dob.  Later I  check on it,
at it was a perfect stowage, with the shroud and ballast perfectly
installed.  GREAT kid.

As I was immersed in Tyler's tremendous talk and tour-de-force on National
Park skies, Susan snuck in found me and told me that the wind had blown the
 Computer Cave box off the velcro restraints and took the box, camera and
monitor  to the pavement.  Oh Joy.  And also had blown so hard that it had
swung the 10" SCT against the clutches and lost it's sense of position and
whatever little mind it had.  So, when we were done, I ran out to the 10"
setup and found Karina had perfectly responded; she had the mount in Park, and
 the equipment was stowed.  I would later check out the monitor and camera
in the lodge, no apparent damage!  So we were going visual, not  video.  I
showed her how to recover Park with an old trick of using a  bulls-eye
level, rolling weights horizontal and setting RA to 6 Hr, leveling the  OTA and
setting DEC to latitude.  Rolled it all back to zero indicators,  perfect
park.  We rechecked Polar and it was OK, not great.  Did a two  star alignment,
again OK, not great, but could get targets in a low power  eyepiece.  But
the focus was set for camera use, so we pulled off the focus  motor to get
more range of motion and got focus back in the eyeball range  instead of
camera.  By this time, I was shivering in the cold winds and the  kids were
kind
of stressed out about the problems although that had each  performed
perfectly.  So, I called Susan and she came back to pick them up  and bring me
jacket.  Then the night became wonderful for my personal  interests.  I went
right to the Hercules Cluster, M-13, and it was awesome  at about 120X.  Next
hour and a half was showtime, with a great cluster of  visitors with
insightful questions as I explained the half million old stars  around a
super-massive black hole they were really seeing.  Despite having  to totally
pack up
the whole site, I was really psyched - finally some eyepiece  time with
visitors.  Can't wait for tonight to get back to Hercules in the  video
monitor.  Now THAT will bring tears to your eyes.  Then, we'll  try PanSTARRS
and
the Dumbbell so I can see what this camera will really  do.  Oh, and we have
the meteor shower predicted for around 1:30 AM local  time.  This is due to
a long period comet that last demonstrated a shower  in the 1930s, with a
Zenith Hourly Rate of 30 in a full moon.  With a one  day old moon, we might
be in for a real treat!

Tried some solar this morning, clouds in the way.  I'm the speaker
tonight, so gotta get my act together.

The adventure continues!

Jim  O'Connor
South Rim Coordinator