[AZ-Observing] Re: GCSP 2012 North Rim

  • From: Steven Dodder <sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Az Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 01:48:16 +0000

Each and every year, I get response emails after the fact describing the
indescribable-the feelings of joy and amazement from visitors at what they've
witnessed through our volunteer's telescopes.  This year, we had one in real
time.
On Monday night, there was a father and his 8 year old daughter.  I remember
her vividly-Blonde hair to her shoulders, bright eyes and literally jumping up
and down waiting for a view and after having seen one.  I heard her
exclamations across the field as she went from one scope to another.  Tuesday
morning, Jon Webb and Chris Hanrahan were showing the Sun from the veranda.
The young girl were there again, having stayed an extra night.  Once again, she
was literally jumping up and down for a view, asking her dad, "Please, please
daddy, can we stay another night?!"  He said they already had and had to go.
They left, but when Jon and Chris returned to the truck, they found a note.
(I'll scan a copy and post it, if Chris hasn't already.)  It reads,  in very
nice penmanship for an eight year old, "Thank you, I really enjoyed the star
party.  it was my first time looking in a telescope to see planets.  I really
liked looking at saturn with the rings.  I hope I come back next year.  I hope
you have a vacation Because you made mine so fun. :-)  Lauren"  Her dad then
writes, "Thanks again, guys, we really appreciate your time and effort!!  Best
regards, Rich."

I was at my campsite with several others when Jon and Chris pull up in the
truck.  They literally burst from the truck, run over to us brandishing the
note.  I swear, Jon was 3 feet off the ground.  After reading it and passing it
around, we all agreed; THIS is exactly why we do this each year.  The whole
reason for our being there is to generate this type of reaction.  When it
happens in real time like this, it just makes it that much better!

Priceless.

Steve Dodder
Coordinator, Grand Canyon Star Party, North Rim

Chairman, SAC Novice Group

Director, Stone Haven Observatory
sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx
Visit my web site at http://www.stonehavenobservatory.com