[AZ-Observing] Re: GCSP 2012 North Rim

  • From: Skylook123@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 19:54:06 -0400 (EDT)

Nice write-up, Steve.  Interesting to have the windbreak on the  veranda;
we just get the wind on the South Rim.  With my granddaughters  running our
two scopes for the last couple of years, I haven't really done the  scope
looking thing much, but doing short sky walks with the folks waiting  to look
through the girls' scopes, and the official constellation tours once or
twice a night (love that Merlin line), has been a great enhancement to my own
nights.

Sorry to hear about Bill's stumble.  Hope he and his scope both  recover
well.

And sounds like you did a couple of great talks.  Thanks for the news  from
the cozy North.

Jim  O'Connor
South Rim Coordinator
Grand Canyon Star  Party
gcsp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In a message dated 6/30/2012 12:47:24 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
fester00@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

This  year's edition was, a little strange it seemed to me.  From the
planning  stage and signing up volunteers, it just seemed out of phase,
somehow.
I  managed to get the veranda filled with astronomers, and Kaibab Lodge was
 booked specifically this year, but it just felt odd.

So, on to the  actual star party.  We were all set to have a record number
of large  telescopes-three 20"ers, a couple 16's, a C-14 and so on.
Smallest scope  was set to be a 4" refractor.  On Sunday, we were set to have
over
180"  of aperture on the field for the visitors!  The weather was mild,
except  for a bit of wind on a couple nights, but the veranda and canyon wall
shelters  us, deflecting all but direct hits up over the lodge and into the
trees.   You can sure hear it howl, but it doesn't seem to affect us all that
much.  The skies were amazing, if a bit hazy closer to the horizon.   All
week long, the lowest part of the Scorpion's tail was misty and  gunky.
(Yes, technical term.)  Courtesy of The Sierra Club, my  attention was drawn to
a long string of red aircraft warning lights on a new  windfarm west of
Williams.  Miles long, they blinked on and off all  night, but didn't seem all
that bad to me.  I'm still conjuring up a  response to Sierra and a possible
request to the FA
A for action.   (Now, I'm a lobbyist, too, I guess.)

For some reason, everyone set up  their scopes farther back from the edge
this year, and we didn't expand as  close to the fireplace as we normally do.
 As a result, the veranda  seemed a bit crowded, even with fewer scopes.
Maybe I need to give a  little more direction in that area, but we did have
several newcomers to the  group this year, too.  So maybe that was part of it.

One of my  main volunteers, Jim Mahon, was delayed by a family emergency
for a couple  days, compounded by mechanical trouble with his trailer rig.
Cody, the  wonder dog, was feeling very ill and needed treatment, so they had
to delay  leaving L.A. until Sunday.  Then, had trouble with the hitch and
didn't  actually hit the road until Monday.  Jim was scheduled to give a
"What's  In The Sky Tonight" talk on Saturday, so I had to throw one together
cover  for him.  It actually went pretty weell, just throwing pictures up
on the  screen and describing what they'd see in the eyepieces.  I may have
to  add that one to the regular schedule.  Thanks Jim!  ;-)  I also  had a
couple volunteers I've had in the past just show up without any  notification.
 Our Volunteer Ranger, George Varga shows up Saturday night  to tell me
there's someone set up at Bright Angel Point trailhead, and who it  was.  Can't
say I was surprised, but they really are supposed to tell me,  first.  The
NPS gets a little
miffed if they do that, so I have  to make it clear, soon.

Between doing the talks, answering questions  afterward and then running
down to the observing field to run my 20", I didn't  have as many visitors as
I'd like, but the others did a great job when I  wasn't there.  We averaged
about 150-180 people per night.  Funny  thing about it though, they seemed
to evaporate, or sublimate actually, all at  once.  Later than usual, closer
to midnight, but when it was over, it was  OVER.  We didn't have as much
onesie-twosies after the crowd left as  usual.  Of course, Chris and I had some
stragglers, just because of 20"  aperture curiosity, but that was about it.
 Nice folks all  around.

It was nice to actually have some activity on the Sun during  the first
part of the week.  Rosie and I got to set up our solar scope a  couple times
and I actually had to do a sketch!  We showed about 300  people sunspots in 5
hours over two days and told them about the evening  programs, mostly to
squeals of delight, and a couple, "Oh, too bad.   We're leaving today!"  It's
all good, though, as showing old Sol is among  my favorite things to do.  We
were quite rusty, though.  Forgetting  our chairs and our step stool for the
vertically challenged, but thanks to a  local block of limestone, we
managed.

Wednesday, Rosie and I set up at  Kaibab Lodge.  Due to a scheduling snafu,
(oops), we were by ourselves  there.  I set up Rosie's 8" SCT and struggled
a bit with the computerized  GOTO.  It's amazing how slow the GOTO seems
after whipping around with  the 20" Dob!  I kept it together somehow though,
gave a laser  constellation tour to, as Jim put it, "Reestablish myself as
Merlin", then  went on to show most of the showcase pieces-the Leo Triplet,
M57, M13, M23 and  so on.  Plus Saturn of course and even did a request for
Mars.   Ellen Winchester, Lodge Proprietor came out and I had to show her the
Stargate, as that's really the object that fired up her imagination.  She
loved seeing it again of course, and promised to have us back again next
year.  Works every time!  :-)

Just as Rosie and I were  sitting down to dinner at Kaibab, I got called to
the front desk for a phone  call.  It was Robin Tellis, our Interpretive
Ranger.  She informed  me there had been an accident.  Bill Dellinges had
fallen on the stairs  while carrying his telescope to the veranda.  He was cut
severely, had a  couple broken fingers and maybe a fractured wrist.  He'd
been taken to  Kanab for treatment, but seemed to be fine.  The problem was, I
hadn't  had him fill out the Volunteer Agreement papers yet, having not seen
him when  he arrived the night before.  He'd opted to wait to set up until
Wednesday while we were gone.  This incident has, apparently, caused a
wave of fear among the volunteers that, if something happened, Saguaro
Astronomy Club could somehow be on the hook for damages, medical bills and
lawsuits up the yin-yang.  NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH.   After
several
conversations with Robin Tellis about the incident and its  implications, a
simple change of
policy is mandated.  This will  be reflected on the GCSPNR website before
volunteers are accepted for 2013, so  I won't go into it here, but all those
present at the party this year were  informed.  It boils down to this, Bill
is responsible for his own  injuries and treatment.  No one is being sued, an
d Bill feels more  embarrassed than actually injured.  Had he filled out
and submitted the  papers, he'd have been compensated.  When I saw him after
our return from  Kaibab, I told him, "Bill, if you don't want to do the star
party, just SAY  SO!  You don't have to throw yourself down the stairs."  He
took it  in his usual Bill manner and everything went back to normal.
Well, as  "normal" as Bill can be.  :-)  Here's to ya, Bill!

Thursday  night, after the party, I stayed up to do some observing on my
own.  I'm  doing the Herscel 400 and took the opportunity to get some time in
Sagittarius  and Ophiucus.  It was simply amazing!  The sky was so
contrasty, I  had no trouble finding all the objects on my list except two that
were
not on  my Sky Atlas 2000 charts.  Fourteen new objects in under 2 hours,
including logging time.  Just shows the power of a really dark sky!
("Stupid Dark", to quote Mike Wiles, a new volunteer this  year.)

Friday, I made a mistake I feel I'll be paying for.  I  approved an
"experiment" and I should have checked with Robin Tellis  first.  Try to do
someone
a favor, and it comes back.  I accept the  blame for any misunderstanding
and hold no hard feelings.  I hope the  person involved can do the same.
Bottom line, we're looking into  implementing the experiment in a safe,
consistent manner and will decide once  fully evaluated.  'Nuff said.

Saturday was our last night, once  again.  I gave the talk, "Astronomy
Is...", tying what we do as amateurs  into how we cooperate with pro
astronomers
and the benefits both  receive.  It went over very well, and the talk is
evolving.  It  really seems to get people interested, judging by the amount of
inquiries I  get afterward.  Fun!  We got everything packed up and ready to
go,  collected all the visitor contact sheets without resorting to violence
or  bribery, ;-), and drove back home.  Such a wonderful, scenic drive from
 the north rim back to Phoenix!  I just can't get enough of the Painted
Desert and Vermillion Cliffs and so on.  Quite spectacular.

Watch  the SAC website for the changes in policy for next year, and I'll
keep this  list informed of any other changes that may or may not come about
in the next  month or so.  Remember: the 2013 GCSP is being held from 6/8
through  6/15.  North rim signup begins August 1, 2012 for those arranging
their  own lodging, please check with me for scheduling, and January 1, 2013
for
camp  site assignments.

Thanks to all for you help!  I couldn't possibly  do it without each and
every one of you.  See you next  year.

Steve Dodder
Chairman, SAC Novice Group
Coordinator,  Grand Canyon Star Party, North Rim
Director, Stone Haven  Observatory

fester00@xxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.stonehavenobservatory.com