[AZ-Observing] Re: GCSP 2008

  • From: ketelsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 11:30:01 -0700 (MST)

Hi Thom-

No, I normally wouldn't think about 2008 until at this year's event, but
man, that is about the worst moon in the 17 years I've been picking dates!
 I've sworn never to have anything more than a quarter moon in the sky
(getting too bright), so that puts it either 31May-June7, or June 21-28.
We would have dark sky for the first range with a 4-day moon on the 7th.
On the 21-28 range, moonrise is 10pm (!) the first night, and still rises
at 1am on the 28th.  We can't go later, cause that would run into the 4th
weekend, and we are already tempting monsoon clouds with the later range
anyway.  To me it would be a no-brainer to go with the earlier dates, but
I see your point regarding kids still in school.  I would be glad to go
with a vote of the regulars to see what the preferences would be.  Do you
want to wait till the Pasta Feed, or do you want an answer NOW?

-Dean