[AZ-Observing] GCSP

  • From: "Frank Kraljic" <fjkraljic@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "AZ Observing List" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 00:05:11 -0700

Monday night at the Grand Canyon Star Party, although plagued by high cirrus
and wind, compensated amateurs and public viewers with superb atmospheric
stability.  While some large aperture scopes, particularly the tall
truss-design Dobsonians, were rendered idle due to wind gusts, others
managed to treat the public to sharp views of the obligatory--and
overdone--M13, the ring, whirlpool, and of course Mars.  The latter,
hindered by difficult observing conditions, impressed first-time on-lookers
at 560x; some remarkably detecting the subtle albedo features encircling
Elysium.
        Minutes after midnight, the air temperature quickly dropped and most
packed
away for the night.  However, a few remained observing until four in the
morning, affirming that the seeing remained crisp despite moderate
transparency.

The following evening unfortunately was meet by increased high clouds and
seeing limited to 250x.  Although a good turnout by amateurs (over twenty
scopes both nights), cumulative total canyon visitors declined from Monday's
150+ views per scope to 50-60 interested persons.  By night's end, I had
spent over an hour with a family of five pointing out close to thirty
Messier objects concluding with the Swan and managing to avoid M13.

Regardless of attendance and weather, Tuesday proved to be a rich and
fulfilling night of learning and interaction.  And even though Mars was a
sight I'll never forget, Tuesday reaffirmed how much I enjoy, and how
important it is to bring the night sky to the public.  ...That's my plug for
next year's GCSP, and all those other public and sidewalk events.

-FRANK

---
with the subject: unsubscribe.

messages.  Thanks.