[AZ-Observing] Re: Fwd: [Launch Alert] Friday Vandenberg AFB Launch

  • From: "James O'connor" <skylook123@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 15:09:34 -0400 (EDT)

My wife Susan and I lived at Kwaj for a few years.  Nothing like living at
bulls eye, three or four times a year seeing what Armageddon might look like.
My job was site leader and technical coordinator for a different effort, eight
launches out of Kwaj in three years.  I had to keep track of any conflicts from
VAFB, and re-entering junk, so I still run SatEvo to find out if we're getting
a knock on the head.  Brian Webb does pretty good at getting launch schedules
and alerts out for the folks along the coast that like to video the events.  He
does science reporting for NPR out of San Diego State University, and does a
couple of minutes on every launch for local radio.

As Rick observes, I've had far too many false alarms to get excited since this
isn't a terminator launch.  I hope some of the early arrivers to AASP can see
the moving dot.

Jim O'Connor