[AZ-Observing] Re: Fwd: [Launch Alert] Friday Vandenberg AFB Launch

  • From: <saguaroastro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:15:26 -0400

Jimmy,

All launches from VDB destined for polar orbits head South. This puts them on
an open water trajectory for the launch phase. To go north would put the
trajectory over highly populated areas. not a good thing. Even for a nominal
launch. I doubt folks would appreciate a strap on booster landing in their
pool:).

What Dan was referring to, and maybe he can repost the video, was the apparent
change inn trajectory of the spent booster after burnout & Separation. It
continued on to the south for a bit and then abruptly turned north (see my
earlier post about this), something for which, neither of us could explain.

As an FYI, VDB also launches Missile test on a westward trajectory, targeted
for the kwajellan Atoll, about 2500 miles SW of Hawaii.

Rick
K7TEJ