[AZ-Observing] Re: Fwd: [Launch Alert] Friday Vandenberg AFB Launch

  • From: <saguaroastro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:01:00 -0400

Ah, yes, I now remember. Note that  was an evening launch and the exhaust trail
was illuminated. I too was stumped on the sudden northward turn. The only
plausible hypothesis I could think of was the spent booster, still venting,
tumbling with any residual thrust pushing it northward. Though I doubt that as
I would think any residual thrust wouldn't; have been strong enough to overcome
 it southward momentum.

I would expect this launch to be visible along the coastal areas and inland a
bit, but I truly doubt anyone at Salome field will see anything. I've gotten up
at 2:00 AM one too many times to try again. Like Jim, I'll be again the inside
of my eyelids  :)

Rick
K7TEJ