[AZ-Observing] Fwd: CAS Upcoming Events

  • From: "Brent A Archinal" <barchinal@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:12:32 -0700

Two upcoming Coconino Astronomical Society events may be of interest to
az-observing list recipients.  I'm sure that many are planning to attend
the All Arizona Star Party this weekend south of Arizona City.  However,
since that site is quite a drive for observers in the northern part of the
state, keep in mind there will be observing at the Doney Mountain picnic
area near Wupatki National Monument, northeast of Flagstaff.  This is a
true dark sky site (with only a trace of light from Flagstaff and a few
scattered houses out on the Navajo reservation), at about 5400 ft
elevation.  Camping is not allowed right at the picnic area, but is
allowed just off the access road, about a mile away in the National
Forest.  Directions are available from our web site
(http://www.lowell.edu/cas/, click on "CAS observing sessions").

In addition, we are honored to have Brian Skiff as the speaker at our
November 1 meeting, where he'll be covering his recent recovery of the
long lost asteroid Hermes, including history and recent developments, and
I assume coverage of 2003 SQ222, an asteroid discovered by he and other
Lowell astronomers at the end of September, and the closest to ever pass
by the Earth.  I assume this will be of general interest to many of you,
having been discussed quite a bit recently on this list.

Let us (myself or Padraig Houlahan - address at end of message) know if
you have any questions on these events.

- Brent Archinal

                 *** Coconino Astronomical Society Announcements ***

Upcoming Events

                 10/25  Dark Sky Observing (This Saturday!)
                                 Meet at the Doney Mtn. Picnic area
                                 (Wupatki - see our website for more
details)

                                 (Weather is looking good; Let's try and
get one
                                 last dark sky get-together in before the
                                 winter sets in!)

                                 ** No Heritage Square Viewing Until
March/April **

                 11/1   CAS General Meeting - Lowell Observatory

                                 Main Topic: "Re-discovering Hermes"
                                                 Brian Skiff, who recently
re-discovered
                                                 the minor planet Hermes,