[AZ-Observing] Fw: [sac-forum] M34 - Celebrating the end of the monsoon

  • From: "Jennifer Polakis" <m24@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 23:33:27 -0700

From: Mike Wiles
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 11:11 AM
To: SAC-Forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [sac-forum] M34 - Celebrating the end of the monsoon

This year's edition of the monsoon gave me plenty of time to assess my imaging
situation and ponder the future. From the end of June until early September I
was able to turn on the camera exactly once. I worked on processing a huge
backlog of data and realized I wasn't happy with the color data on any of it.
So, back to basics - I came out of the monsoon by shooting a simple RGB image
of an open cluster just to get back into the swing of things. I love a well
done image of an open cluster and I feel pretty good about this one. I hope you
enjoy as well. Comments and criticisms are appreciated. Weather seems to be
cooperating so I hope to get a couple of other projects finished really soon.
It's been too few and far between the last 6 months for me.

I was really surprised to see the number of bright, but small background
galaxies that are in and around this cluster. I may have to go hunting for them
visually next time out - hopefully this new moon cycle.

Object: M34
Dates: Sep 1 to 14, 2013
Location: Benson, Arizona
Telescope: Explore Scientific ED152CF (6" f/8 carbon fiber triplet)
Mount: Astro-Physics AP900GTO CP3
Camera: SBIG ST-8300m w/Astrodon filters
Exposure: 8 x 1200s each R,G,B - 8 hours total exposure

http://www.astrobin.com/full/57527/?mod=none

Thanks for looking.

Mike