[AZ-Observing] Fun with M1

  • From: "L Knauth" <Knauth@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:23:51 -0700

While out observing at Hovatter North Tuesday night, I observed M1 through
clip-on polarized sun glasses that I would swing back and forth at 90 degrees.
The Crab is emitting polarized light from synchrotron radiation, so parts of it
blink at you when doing this trick.  I have shown this to people for years
through my 12.5", but the polaroids eat up so much of the light that some
couldn't see it very well.  Through my 25" Obsession, it is easy.  I think you
could see it with a 10" at  dark sky site, especially if you cover yourself in
a dark cloth to keep ambient light reflections off the polaroids. Try it
sometime.
The normally elongated blur becomes nearly circular through the polaroids
(outer region light loss) and the brightest "blinking" occurs on one side
perpendicular to the axis of elongation. I think it is the north side.  Too bad
there is no rotating polaroid holder that would make this easier.

Paul Knauth

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- File: winmail.dat