[AZ-Observing] Fun at Messier Merrython

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: SMTP <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 11:46:12 -0600

Howdy all;

I had lots of fun at the Messier Marathon last night.  I saw Comet
Panstarrs in modest binoculars and in Paul Lind's 14 incher.  John
Rhodes, the Televue rep, imaged it in a TV 101 and for short exposures
there were three nuclei seen.  You had to zoom in the image, but they
were there.  Anyone else see this?  It was not seen visually, Matt and I
saw it as having an elongated core, but not seperate pieces.  If I
remember, John said he shot 3 or 5 second exposures.

I also watched first light for Matt's new AP 1600 mount and AstroTech
111 refractor, a great set up.  Lots of admirers of the mount and we had
some excellent views along the Milky Way, even with the Moon high above
the horizon.

I walked around for a while and observed with other people's scopes:
Kevin LaGore, Mike Wiles and the TV 127 all showed off some good
observations.  At that point I had just used up all my energy and faced
the drive back to Wickenburg, so I said "so long" and left folks to find
all those nifty Messier goodies.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe