[AZ-Observing] Friday night at Flatiron

  • From: "Ken Reeves" <kreeves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:59:06 -0700

I was joined at Flatiron last night by Derek Poertner and John Doll for a
pretty good evening of observing.  The clouds were well to the south and
eastand didn't interfere much at all except for reflecting the glow of
Phoenix and obscuring the view of the comet.

I estimated the conditions as a 6 for seeing and a 5 for transparency.  We
took a look at the ring nebula, the veil nebula (a favorite of mine in the
20" scope), and even NGC 245 (it was well above the clouds).  After that, I
went after a few faint fuzzies in Pegasus, including the NGC 7550 group.
Thethree brighter galaxies (-74, -49, and -50) were fairly obvious, but -53
and -58 were only suspected with direct vision and definite with averted
vision.  This is a fun grouping for large scopes.

Derek and John had to leave about 9:30, I managed to stay another hour to
look at a couple of object in Perseus then decided it was too cold and
packedit in.  By this time the comet snuck above the clouds so I took a
quickpeek at it (wow, quite bright and large) just before I broke down.

I was greeted by a rising moon through the clouds on the way home.  Looking
outside today, I'm glad I made the trip last night.

Ken Reeves