[AZ-Observing] Re: Four Planets and The Moon

  • From: ketelsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 09:56:57 -0700

Hi Tom-
Outstanding work, but I gotta ask - no Uranus or Mercury??!!

Kidding aside, I had some VIP visitors, including Bill Wren from McDonaald
Observatory and Scott Kardel formerly of Palomar (Both very experienced
observers w/big scopes), and we got permission to use the 20" at the Kitt Peak
Visitor Center last night after the Nightly Observing Program.  Showing up at
9:45 as the public was leaving, we ended up staying till nearly 2am.  Mars was
spectacular, the dark band around the polar cap was seen by everyone,
including
the couple newbies.  500X was our standard magnification for many objects, the
most outstanding in my mind was the Eskimo Nebula which looked better last
night than the classic 200" pics from the 50s...  By the time we left we got a
good view of Saturn (bringing tears to the eyes of the newbie), though
500X was
a little too much for the low elevation, plus I think the great seeing had
passed...  But an outstanding night!

-Dean