[AZ-Observing] Re: Follow-up naked eye shot of Perseus with Comet Holmes

  • From: "Bernie Sanden" <bsanden@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Bernie Sanden'" <bsanden@xxxxxxx>, "'EVAC list'" <evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Az-Observing List'" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 16:46:58 -0700

I've just uploaded a third shot of the comet taken from my backyard,
this one recorded approx midnight Thursday night (6.92 UT  11/2/07),
which again includes the region of sky containing Comet Holmes during
it's outburst.  No moonlight finally but the image is still washed out a
bit due to city skyglow.  Even so, it clearly shows the comet's fuzzy
appearance that has become more prominent naked eye as the ejected
material expands.

For the fourth image in the gallery, I superimposed this latest comet
image onto the shot taken on 10/25 to highlight the movement of the
comet among the background stars of Perseus.

It's still quite a sight to see, even if all you have are binoculars.

http://www.pbase.com/bsanden/comet_17p_holmes

- Bernie