[AZ-Observing] Flatiron Novice Group meeting a success

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 05:11:40 -0700

Hello all;
The Flatiron Novice Group meeting was a success by any standard I can set.  We
had 25 vehicles once it got dark and lots of folks chatting about telescopes,
eyepieces, objects to observe and accessories that they "had" to have.  As
always, the Saguaro Astronomy Club did not attract a lot of Novices, but we had
a few and they certainly seemed to enjoy themselves.  The group that made their
way around observed Saturn, a couple of star clusters and the Eskimo Planetary
Nebula in the scopes near to mine.

Joe Goss got his brand new Nexstar 14 on the German Eq. up and going and it
certainly performed well.  I got some fine views of Saturn and M 3 with it.  I
even saw Joe reading the manual.

AJ, Rick, Matt and I did some open clusters in Monoceros and had a fun time
comparing views at a variety of magnifications in our scopes.

All in all, a very fun evening out under the stars.  We were all certainly
happy that the clouds decided to stay away.

Hoping for clear skies for New Moon;
Steve Coe

Author "Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist"
Saguaro Astronomy Club website
www.saguaroastro.org