[AZ-Observing] Flat Iron bad - good

  • From: "Jack Jones" <Telescoper@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "AZ Observing List" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:20:15 -0700

About 8 vehicles and a dozen observers at Flat Iron under clear but windy
skies. The wind was horrible but we observed thru it mostly, with a lull
around 9:30 for an hour before more strong gusty wind. Comet
Schwassmann-Wachmann (sp?) picked up by Rick Tejera inside center of Corona
Borealis, faint but bright nucleus and nice tail and enjoyed by all thru the
evening. You can only be so patient I know, the main group left at 11pm but I
gave it another hour since Lynn Blackburn wasn't leaving. Dang if it wasn't
less than 30 minutes before the wind stopped and calm conditions and much
improved seeing prevailed the rest of the night!!! Only me and Lynn then and
we observed til 2 am. He has a Starmaster dob kit I believe or homemade, with
an excellent Meade 16" mirror in it. We split 1 arcsecond nu Scorpii triple
and 3" epsilon Bootes. Jupiter's red spot looked very large and prominent,
pinkish with the SEB flowing around it, also a white barge in the NEB across
from it and repeating notches in the band below it. I was able to split nu
Scorpii (but ~1" zeta Boo didn't happen) with the Orion 100mm ED at 60x/inch,
excellent optics.

Jack Jones
Public Events Coordinator
Saguaro Astronomy Club