[AZ-Observing] Re: Flagstaff Star Party Thursday-Saturday

  • From: Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 10:33:06 -0700

On Fri, 2015-09-18 at 08:17 -0700, J. D MADDY wrote:

There were around 30 scopes there. Gate count last
time I heard was at 500.

This sounds about right based on my experience
with the crowds on Mars Hill this summer.
Given that this was the first night of a
first-ever event, I'd say things were admirably
well-organized and things went very smoothly.
The weather was perfect with quite good seeing, too.

. I left my SQM meter in the car
and didn't take any readings. I'm guessing
low 20's.
Maybe high 19's.

The park is in fact significantly darker
than Mars Hill, where early-evening numbers
are more like 20.3. I'd say roughly at least 20.7
last night even with the Moon up but low
in the west (roughly 8pm). This speaks mainly to
the "pretty good" light-pollution control from
the city ordinance, which one of the points of
the star party.
I'll be there again this evening for the
sunset presentation (starting 6:15-ish) and also
constellation orientation. Looks as though it
will be clear again. The smart money will be going
to Alan Stern's talk on the university campus at 7pm,
which is the kick-off for the local Festival of Science.

\Brian