[AZ-Observing] Flagstaff 2002 nighttime cloudiness

  • From: Brian Skiff <Brian.Skiff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amastro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, avondale@xxxxxx,az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, janes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, jorstad@xxxxxx,staff@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 13:03:50 -0700 (MST)

     Well, the numbers are in on local nighttime cloudiness.  The number of
fully clear nights in 2002 was nearly identical to the long-term average
(94 +/- 21 nights over the last 24 years), but because of a large number of
what I call 'partial' nights, the total clear hours was +1 sigma above the
mean (which is 1087 +/- 134 hours).  If we hadn't got 10 significant winter
trough passages in December, including one on New Year's Eve, the totals could
have been quite a bit better.  May and June were the best months, as is
typically the case; the mid-September to mid-November dry season was not in
the running this year.  July yielded a goose egg for the clear nights/hours
tally.
     It is worth noting again that my reckoning is quite conservative.
A recent example is Dec 30/31:  the night started out with cirrus thin enough
that I observed for several hours with the LONEOS camera, picking up close to
1500 asteroids; lower overcast came in later, and in my scheme I regard this
as a 'cloudy' night.  The point all along has been to count the clear
nights/hours and not to finess degrees of cloudiness, such as having a category
for 'partly spectroscopic' nights as this night was.  By summing the first
three categories you can get a good idea of the number of 'usable' nights for
different sorts of astronomy---over 200 this year---plenty of opportunity for
observing.
     The nightly data in this summary (and the annual summaries, too) are
available at the Lowell Web site, starting at:

http://www.lowell.edu/cgi-bin/www/clouds/clouds.cgi

\Brian

2002 Flagstaff Nighttime Cloudiness Summary

                 Jan  Feb  Mar  Apr  May  Jun  Jul  Aug  Sep  Oct  Nov  Dec  Yr

                                        (nights)

Photometric        5   12    7    5   16   18    0    7    9    7    9    1   96
                                                           Monthly Average:  8.0

Partial            8    4    7    5    6    0    0    5    6    6    5    9   61
                                                           Monthly Average:  5.1

Spectroscopic      2    4    5    4    4    7    9    5    2    2    4    3   51
                                                           Monthly Average:  4.3

Cloudy            16    8   12   16    5    5   22   14   13   16   12   18  157
                                                           Monthly Average: 13.1

Clear Hours      121  148  105   71  153  126    0   81  116  105  108   81 1215
                                                           Monthly Average:  101

Clear+Dark Hours  74   63   53   26   86   80    0   34   37   76   40   50  619
                                                           Monthly Average:   52

Mean Consec      1.2  2.4  2.3  1.2  2.3  6.0    0  1.8  2.3  1.8  1.8  1.0
                                                           Monthly Average:  2.0

Max Consec         2    5    3    2    6   14    0    3    6    3    2    1
                                                           Monthly Average:  3.9

Definitions:

Photometric  -  cloudfree dusk-to-dawn.
Partial  -  at least 3 consecutive cloudfree hours during the night.
Spectroscopic  -  less than about 1 mag. extinction throughout the night.
Cloudy  -  cloudy.

Clear+Dark Hours = photometric hours with moon absent.
Mean Consec = mean number of consecutive photometric nights during the month.
Max Consec = maximum number of consecutive photometric nights during the month.