[AZ-Observing] Re: Five Mile Meadow Next Weekend

  • From: "AJ Crayon" <acrayon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 16:11:25 -0700

Debbie, I think most of us will be leaving on Friday and return on Sunday.
As far as canceling is concerned - that is a personal decision.  The event
is not cancelled, just folks decide on not going.  This is mainly due to
things like clouds, rain or forest restrictions.  Usually, but not always,
there are some posts but they are last minute.

Finally, here are the directions to 5MM -

Five Mile Meadow, aka Buck Butte Meadow or 5MM, 7000ft or 2300m:  Take I-17
north to the Verde Valley turnoff and go east on Hwy. 260, the General Crook
Trail, for about 30 miles east of the town of Camp Verde.  The road ends in
a "T" with Hwy. 87.  Turn left (generally north) and drive about 12 miles,
through the little town of Clint's Well.  This is the gas station,
restaurant and ranger station on your left.  After you pass through Clint's
Well, there is a left turn lane that will allow you to turn left onto Forest
Highway 3, aka Lake Mary Rd.  As you drive north on Lake Mary Road you will
pass the Happy Jack RV park on the left and pass through a large area of
trees where there has been a forest fire.

After about 12 miles on Lake Mary Road, look for mile marker 301 and slow
down to look for a dirt road on your left.  The sign for this road says "Bar
D Ranch".  You will know you are on the correct forestry road by two brown
signs, a small one with number 229 and another, larger, with Bar D Ranch
distance.  You will pass under high voltage power lines at about 1.5 miles
and there is a cattle guard at about 3 miles.  If you make no turns off the
well-maintained road then you will reach a cross road marked 305, on a brown
sign.  The meadow is straight ahead, past the crossroad and just to the
left.  The meadow is elongated in an easterly direction and, if you stay on
the original road 229 it will take you just to the north side, where it is
best to set up.  About 1/10 of a mile past the crossroad is an opening in
the trees to your left that leads to an opening where you can set up.  The
site is called "Five Mile Meadow" because it is about 5 miles from the
pavement on the forestry road.

The turn off from FR 229 has been marked with the usual white rocks.

Important:  the one major restriction from the ranger station is "do not
drive into the middle of the meadow"!  Stay near the tree line.
BTW for those interested the GPS coordinates are:  34:41:57    111:26:50
elev 6835'.

Hope this helps.

AJ Crayon
Phoenix, AZ

Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 15:20:56 -0700

If I do go, it would be Fri afternoon to Sunday.  I would need to follow
someone.  Don't have a clue where this is.  Also, do we plan to go....and
then cancell if it is cloudy.  That is fine, just need understand the plan.
Let me know if I can follow someone Fri afternoon.  I have a c.b.  I am at
Loop 101 & Camelback (Westside).
Thanks for your help in this matter.
Debbie Roth