[AZ-Observing] Re: Fires in the Northland Redux--Cherry fire

  • From: SaguaroAstro@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 22:05:53 EDT

All
I called the PNF Fire hot line this afternoon and spoke with a nice young
lady who after looking up a whole bunch of stuff essentially said the area is
open e.g. we can be there but no open fires. See gave me the number for the
forest ranger station that covers the area, but I had to run out and didn't get
chance to call them. I imagine they would have better info as to whats
happening now and planed for by the weekend. According to the PNF website, the
Cherry
Prescribed burn is 85% complete. According to the repot, the Plume Stan saw
yesterday afternoon was due to an unexpected wind shift that sparked an area
that they had not gotten to yet, although it was within the boundries of the
prescribed area and under control.

So given that it may well be that the fire danger may be over by the time we
want to observe.

I'll post again, after I speak with the rangers.

In a message dated 6/17/2003 18:56:33 US Mountain Standard Time,
mluttinen@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Hello all,
>
> It looks like there is a wildfire near the Cherry Rd site, as reported =
> on
> the evening local news. Stan, can you confirm? If so, it doesn=92t look =
> good
> for this weekend if there is going to be fire danger and smoke in the =
> air .
> . .
>
> Matt

Rick Tejera