[AZ-Observing] Fireball last night (sat.)

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 11:36:34 -0700

Howdy;
AJ and I saw a very nice fireball last night, we were doing a viewing session
from east of Fountain Hills off the Beeline Hwy.  The bright meteor was in the
southeast, it moved from Hydra into Puppis.  The color was a brilliant
blue-white and it broke up at the end of the path.  I would estimate its path
at 60 degrees long and the magnitude at -6, it was brighter than Venus.

Unlike the usual meteor there was time for me to turn AJ around and he had time
to observe the last half of its track and give it an "OO-AH" with me.
According to AJ's watch it was 9:44 MST.

Anyone else see this beauty?
Steve Coe

Author "Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist"
Saguaro Astronomy Club website
www.saguaroastro.org