[AZ-Observing] Re: Finderscope

  • From: Chuck Akers <akersc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 10:04:55 -0700 (PDT)

I saw an astronomer at GCSP using an Orion short tube 80 as a spotting scope on
a 17 inch dob that seemed to work pretty well.  I picked one up a few years ago
with the same intention but ran into a balance problem and thus stuck with my
Telrad.  The Short Tube 80 is only about $200.00 and I use mine for multiple
things including solar observing. The Orion isn't a top end scope, its about as
good as it gets for the money. You would just need to find some mounting rings,
Orion used to carry them, maybe they still do.
I hope this helps...
Chuck

Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: The finder scope that comes with
the Meade 16" LX200R is a pain in the
neck because it is always going out of pointing alignment and every time
I start a  night I have to re-align it. I am thinking of replacing it
with a 3" refractor to serve as a finder, possibly guider, and for solar
observing, i.e., H-Alpha and all that.

Can anyone suggest a good refractor that would not cost thousands of
dollars and still give good images for solar stuff? For this a
chromatically  corrected objective is not necessary, from my understanding.

I always use a straight through finder because I use both eyes to center
an object. The Meade finder uses a 2" objective and so it doesn't seem
that going to a 3" would obstruct my one eye. I know this depends on how
widely separated a person's eyes are. I imagine David F. could easily
use a 4" refractor as a finder scope. (-:  Does anyone have any
experience using something as large as a 3" for a finder scope?

Finally, I want the pointing alignment to stay put and not continually
change as the Meade one does. Since refractor's are thin tubed (except a
certain model of the TMB refractor) I think I might have to machine two
thick aluminum sleeves, one for each end of the tube, and cement them to
the  tube. I could buy mounting rings, but I probably could machine
something more sturdy that would hold pointing alignment better. Does
anyone have any other suggestions?
Stan