[AZ-Observing] Finderscope

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 09:47:46 -0700

The finder scope that comes with the Meade 16" LX200R is a pain in the
neck because it is always going out of pointing alignment and every time
I start a  night I have to re-align it. I am thinking of replacing it
with a 3" refractor to serve as a finder, possibly guider, and for solar
observing, i.e., H-Alpha and all that.

Can anyone suggest a good refractor that would not cost thousands of
dollars and still give good images for solar stuff? For this a
chromatically  corrected objective is not necessary, from my understanding.

I always use a straight through finder because I use both eyes to center
an object. The Meade finder uses a 2" objective and so it doesn't seem
that going to a 3" would obstruct my one eye. I know this depends on how
widely separated a person's eyes are. I imagine David F. could easily
use a 4" refractor as a finder scope. (-:  Does anyone have any
experience using something as large as a 3" for a finder scope?

Finally, I want the pointing alignment to stay put and not continually
change as the Meade one does. Since refractor's are thin tubed (except a
certain model of the TMB refractor) I think I might have to machine two
thick aluminum sleeves, one for each end of the tube, and cement them to
the  tube. I could buy mounting rings, but I probably could machine
something more sturdy that would hold pointing alignment better. Does
anyone have any other suggestions?
Stan