[AZ-Observing] Field battery Power

  • From: "Jimmy Ray" <jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 19:17:52 -0700

From time to time our discussions have centered around field power. Here is
my current experience that some may find useful.

This last week I've been working to upgrade my field power capability.
Shortly after getting my new CGE set up, I discovered with the onset of
aperture fever comes an increase in scope electron consumption. My older 7
amp setup was great for my 8i SE  but the CGE mount has a much larger
appetite and hardly makes a light snack out of it. Looking around, I decided
that the "Optima" series of sealed batteries was the way to go. My
neighbor's line of work (movie industry) requires that he have very reliable
field power. Inquiring as to which battery and best place to pick up one of
these rather expensive little wonders (about $150.00) I was pleasantly
surprised when he handed my one and thanked me for making some space in his
garage!

Battery in hand I now needed to house it, monitor it, and tap it for it's
new duties (not like it had old duties as it was used on only one "shoot"
and was still full charged).

As far as the housing, I found that not only is the battery box at Wal-Mart
about half the cost of anyone else's ($7) it has a snap on lid and four
different openings around the top to snake out your cables.

For 120v needs I discovered that Checker auto has their Pro One label 400
watt two outlet, fused inverter on sale for $25. A 200 watt anywhere is
about $35. I actually got mine for $20 with the store little concerned about
the discrepancy (works  for me). Their inverter is switched, has two
different cable sets (lighter and batt clamp), a cooling fan and voltage cut
off alarm.

Over taxing your battery is one of those big no-no's but how do you easily
monitor your battery's voltage so you know when your at it's limit or at or
below your scopes minimum input voltage? I saw all sorts of things that
might work just fine but seemed pricey when all I needed was a cheap VOM
(multi meter). Harbor freight had just what I was looking for. Their CenTech
7 function VOM with a large digital readout was all of $4 (yes, four bucks
(normally $10)) So I cut the ends of the leads, crimped eye rings on the
bobbed end, then attached them to the battery terminals. The meter itself is
velcroed to the top of the batt box and has a built in on / off switch (very
handy)

So, overall it make a very clean, compact field system with 104 Amp/ hr
capability. More than enough for any two or three day outing and for less
than $35. who could complain!

Jimmy Ray