[AZ-Observing] Re: February 2010 Report from Hovater Norte

  • From: L Knauth <Knauth@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 14:49:08 -0700

> Next time you look at it, "blink" it with a nebula filter
Thanks, Tom.  Good idea; I'll try that.  I would be especially interested if
the stellar-like point blinks, assuming the seeing is good enough to ever see
that again.

BTW:  I always have trouble "blinking" with the OIII filter.  Too much ambient
light reflecting off the glass surface.  Is there any trick other than using a
dark cloth?  I get a little uncomfortable scrunching a dark cloth over my head
with one hand while flipping an OIII filter with the other, all while twisted
to the side and 4 feet up a ladder.  (Would that we had not evolved out of a
tail long ago)  Also, if I really get covered up such that no light even from
the ground comes up, I lose all my oxygen.

Of which speaking, there are apocryphal tales that enhanced oxygen gives
noticeably improved sensitivity to deep sky objects.  Anyone ever try renting
medical oxygen and sniffing while going for the faint photons?  I've thought of
trying it, but I would feel pretty stupid if it's just one of those lies we
tell while standing around telescopes in the dark.

Any suggestions?

Paul