[AZ-Observing] Re: Faint nebulosities surrounding M42

  • From: "Jon Christensen" <jonc97@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 23:44:54 -0700

Hi Andrew.  You are correct about blending different exposure lengths.
About 95% of the picture was shot on December 4-5 with the luminance being a
series of 24 ten minute exposures (not counting the exposures I had to toss)
and the color data which were 5 minute subs binned 2x2.   The brightest
parts of the nebula saturated my chip and turned completely white which is
what I expected.  I then used data from last year's picture to fill in those
parts that were saturated because I felt I couldn't improve on those areas
this year because I was using the same equipment.  Those exposures ranged
from 5 seconds to 2 minutes.  The 5 second exposures were about as long as I
could go without saturating the trapezium with my F/3 scope.

Jon Christensen